THE ART AND SCIENCE OF DESIGN HAVE GUIDED MY PROFESSIONAL DESIGN CAREER OVER THE PAST 25 YEARS.
Exceptional design combines both form and function.
The heart of the home — the kitchen — is where I have focused my design solutions, because that is what improves and enriches peoples lives. I have developed Vestabul School of Design for you, to share my knowledge of the kitchen design business.
Below are some highlights of my professional experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Home Economics, University of Alberta, Canada.
- Founding member of British Columbia Chapter of National Kitchen & Bath Association.
- Board of Director member for Home Builder and Design Associations.
- Owned and managed a custom cabinet & millwork shop for 10 years.
- Lectured at IBS, KBIS and Buildex (Vancouver, Seattle, Calgary, Edmonton).
- Developed and presented accredited C.E.U. courses for design professionals.
- Written design articles for industry trade publications.
- Product designer with 5 North American design patents.
- Designed over 1000 kitchens.
- Kitchen design winner of local, national and international contests.
My personal life also revolves around design with a few of my hobbies being:
- Filling my pantry with home canning every fall.
- Setting a beautiful table with my vast dishware collection.
- Exploring multiple mediums as an artist: pottery, watercolor, blacksmithing.
- Collecting unique jewellery pieces.
- Attending design trade shows around the world.
- Always having a home DIY project on the go!
“Jan Rutgers is in a category of her own with a wealth of knowledge and experience. I met Jan over 15 years ago and have followed her ever since! She’s always been a mentor and someone I can rely on at any time to help me out when coming across challenging designs. Jan introduced me to the specialty required to designing kitchens and bathrooms and I fell in love with it and decided that would be my specially too! I’ve now been a designer for over 17 years and certainly point at Jan in helping guide me in this direction! Thanks Jan for everything!”